Butterick 5920 - Sheer Sundress


I feel like this pattern and this fabric were made for each other! I plucked this polka dotted mesh out of a bargain bin the very first time I visited Fine Fabrics here in Atlanta (seriously, if you live here you NEED to shop there). For the longest time I didn't know what to do with it; it's slightly sheer and drapes very well. But it's not lightweight so a blouse was out. Then I saw Butterick 5920 and it was perfect: A vintage dress pattern meant for sheers!

This was a reissue pattern from 1951. For the first time I used my sloper to help me make pattern adjustments.  It definitely jump started the process but I still made a muslin and fine tuned the fit, particularly around the armholes. But using the sloper i was able to start out with enough room for my bust and no excess fabric in the back.



Design wise the pattern is pretty good. I decided to move the pockets from the bodice to the skirt. My bustline is pretty voluminous already, it doesn't need any extra attention! The collar is a neat feature, but I'm never sure if it's laying properly. It might be more the fabric's fault than the pattern since it doesn't have the structure of a more tight woven. 

This mesh fabric is slippery and frays easily. I had to handle it very gently and make sure all the seams were enclosed. I used french seams everywhere, which required me to move slowly so I didn't stitch together pieces the wrong way (which I have done before >_<).


The dress was made to my measurements, but without the belt it looks really baggy. It hangs straight down from my bustline which is a look I've never enjoyed. With the belt I get more of the silhouette I was aiming for. Even more once I added my corset. It's nice and airy, completely not appropriate for the colder weather. Underneath I wore a slip  I just bought one from the thrift store. 

Popular Posts