I made this for Halloween but just put the finishing touches on it recently. I wanted to make a "royal" costume that had some Asian influences. The pattern is based on a Ghawazee coat, typically worn by tribal belly dancers. Since I do a bit of belly dancing myself, this coat does double duty as a Halloween costume and dance attire.
|So pretty, but would never buy on my own.|
It's the most expensive costume I've ever sewn, thanks to my boyfriend spoiling me with a bolt of beautiful red brocade fabric. The coat is fully lined in a gold crepe back satin. I used a gold and black ribbon for the center front and the sleeve cuffs. The collar is bordered with a black braided trim.
I love the neckline on this coat. Would have never thought to make an over bust Ghawazee coat if not for this pattern. The lace by my collar is just an undershirt, although I'm thinking about attaching it. I was heading to a family-friendly function and didn't want to flash any children. And of course I'm wearing a full circle skirt underneath.
|Wheee!!! It Spins!!!|
After writing this post I really want to show more of the details. I think I'll take some more shots and add them to this post in the future. The ribbon and braided trim are really nice.
The only adjustments I did were a much needed FBA (I'm a DDD-H), taking in the waist, and lengthening the sleeve flares. The french seam FBA required reading a bunch of tutorials and sewing a couple of muslins before it made sense. If I ever become a good enough dancer to need multiple coats, I would definitely reuse this pattern.